The final flourishes are being made in preparation for the Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival, which brings together the best of Australian fashion as well as arts, ideas and conversations over ten days from 4 to 14 March. Here’s what we’re looking forward to this year and how to plan the perfect stay in the city.
- The Runways
The choice is yours! There’s a variety of runways to choose from during the festival, from local solo shows to new collections from stellar names – Balenciaga, Calibre, Canali, Balmain, Carla Zampatti and Romance Was Born are just some of the designers you can expect.
- Design Within Country – WED 4 March.We can’t wait to check out Design Within Country on 4 March at Blak Dot Gallery; showcasing fresh new ideas from young people in Fitzroy Crossing paired together with city-based creatives and mentors.
- Virgin Australia Grand Showcase – THU 12 March.The Virgin Australia Grand Showcase will be a treat this year, featuring the structural delights and striking silhouettes of Melbourne-based MATICEVSKI.
- The National Graduate Showcase – FRI 13 March.The National Graduate Showcase is always one of the best features of the festival, bringing innovative ideas and textures from Australia’s best fashion design institutions.
- Tactile Tours & Audio Described Runways – FRI 13 & SAT 14 March.A brilliant first for this year’s festival. Vision-impaired audience members can experience the latest fashions through backstage intros and a professional audio description of several runways on 13 March and 14 March.
- The Australian Fashion Summit – FRI 13 March.The industry conference not to be missed, with insights from Eva Kruse, CEO & President of Global Fashion Agenda & Copenhagen Fashion Summit; Laura Brown Editor in Chief at Instyle USA; and Glynis Traill-Nash, Fashion Editor at The Australian.
And that really is just the start – be sure to check out the full festival program for more ideas and events.
Where to stay for Melbourne Fashion Week in 2020
The Royal Exhibition Building provides a stunning backdrop to most of the festival’s runways and events, and if you’re looking for serviced apartments in Melbourne then our Little Bourke Street apartments are an easy 10-minute stroll away from the main venue. Whether you’re looking for accommodation in Melbourne’s CBD, in the city’s inner suburbs or in areas like Essendon or Oakleigh, you can be sure that Punthill’s Melbourne apartments are stylish, modern and beautifully equipped for your stay.